Being motivated 24/7 is hard. With school, work, relationships, health and just life in general, having a goal in mind and being self-driven is vital for staying positive and sustaining personal-motivation. Even the most determined people can lose the drive they need to reach their goals so don’t be discouraged if you lose steam here or there, it’s normal! Whether you are trying to ace your next exam, run that extra mile or practice yoga everyday, just remember to never give up!
- Set realistic, small goals. First, you’ll need to figure out what you want to accomplish…realistically speaking. You can’t wake up one day spontaneously run a marathon. You need to train and work up to that 26.2 mile run! Write down your goals and top reasons for working towards them. Try to set a date of when you want to accomplish your goal by. Tape them on your wall, computer or bathroom mirror. This will help remind you throughout the day and it will become easier to stay on track and stay focused.
- Find out what makes you happy. Working toward something that makes you happy, will make finding motivation much easier. Find out what is going to make you want to get out of bed and work toward your goals. This may be surfing, spending more time with family or friends, or simply living a more active lifestyle.
- Reward yourself. Let yourself know you are doing a good job! Treat yourself for getting half way to your goal, and then again for accomplishing it. Maybe a fresh pair of Nike’s for finishing that marathon or new workout gear to use for working toward your next goal!
- Fake it ’til you make it. If you don’t feel motivated or enthusiastic then pretend. You will most likely start to feel like you are actually motivated within just a few minutes of acting like it.
- Do the toughest task first. This will ease a lot of your day-to-day worries and boost your self-confidence for the rest of the day. Just get it done! You will be much happier and relaxed when the heaviest weight is taken off yourself.
- Compare yourself with yourself. Comparing yourself with others can really kill your motivation. There will always be people ahead of you, but don’t focus of them. Focus on your own results, improvements and being the best version of yourself that you can be.
- Remember your successes. Use a journal, write them down on your calendar or in your phone. Remind yourself of all the great work you are doing. It is easy to forget about your successes if you think about your failures. Get out of this slump and remind yourself how awesome you really are.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Put yourself in awkward situations. Make new friends. Do something out of the ordinary. Trust me, it will be good for you.
- Be creative. Make a collage or write down what inspires you. Brainstorm, doodle and be different! You can learn a lot about yourself by expressing creativity and find the motivation you never knew you had.
- Support. Surround yourself with people who are going to help you reach your goal, not drag you down. Find someone who is working toward the same thing and work together. Motivate others around you too.
- Whatever you are doing, have fun! Even if the road to your goal isn’t exactly the funnest task, find a way to spice it up and make it fun! Make a new playlist, surround yourself with friends, or just smile!
- Live life one day at a time. We don’t have all the time in the world. So focus on today and do the things you really want to do. Tomorrow is another day.
What motivates you? Leave a comment!